Thursday, June 24, 2010

Alfredo Sauce

I got this from the Betty Crocker Book Win at Weight Loss...It originally calls for chicken and a few other things so this is my modification

2 teaspoons butter or margarine (vegan becel now)
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 clove garlic, finely chopped ( I usually use two or three cloves)
2 cups of fat free half and half (sure you could probably use soy milk)
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sour cream(reduced fat or even the tofutti sour cream)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I used the imported good parmesan)
1/2 tsp salt( I usually leave it out because I'm watching my sodium intake)
1/8 teaspoon white pepper ( I just use black pepper)

I also usually add some chopped white mushrooms but it isn't in the recipe

In 2-quart saucepan melt butter over medium heat
Add Shallot and Garlic; cook and stir one minute  ( I also saute the mushrooms at the same time)
In a mixing bowl whisk half and half together with the flour; add to saucepan
Heat to boiling stirring frequently
Beat in Sour Cream with whisk.
Reduce heat to low; cook 1 or 2 minutes or until heated
Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese salt and pepper

I usually serve this with fresh tortellini like Oliveri or something like that but the original recipe called for linguine  

Its quite filling though so this will probably also be regulated to an occasional treat or when I've burnt a lot of calories that day and need something more filling  

Enjoy:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails